Work and Community Service
Julie Grand is a lecturer in Health Policy Studies at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, where her teaching focuses on preparing a diverse group of undergraduates for careers in health care and social services. Prior to obtaining her Ph.D., Julie worked as a health educator for the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute’s Community Outreach Division.
Since 2014, Julie has represented Ward 3 on the Ann Arbor City Council. She currently serves on the following commissions/committees:
- City Council Budget and Labor Committee
- City Council Audit Committee
- Park Advisory Commission
- Greenbelt Advisory Commission
- Ann Arbor Housing Commission
- Chair, AAHC Joint Policy and Financial Advisory Committee
- City/Schools (AAPS) Committee
- Urban County Executive Board
- Community Events Funds Committee
Julie joined the Ann Arbor Park Advisory Commission (PAC) in 2007 and served as PAC’s Chair from 2010-2013. As part of this service, Julie has represented PAC on the following committees:
- Land Acquisition Committee (2007-2013)
- Golf Advisory Task Force (2009-2011)
- Senior Center Task Force (2009-2010)
- Sustainability Task Force (2011-2012)
- North Main Huron River Vision Task Force (2012-2013)
- 721 North Main Technical Committee
- DTE Gas Site Subcommittee
- Selection Committee for Argo Cascades Public Art Project (2012-2013)
- Downtown Parks Subcommittee (2013)
In addition to her work on City Council, Julie is a room parent, classroom volunteer, and Chair of Mr. Leonard’s “Flying Penguins” Running Club at Burns Park Elementary School. Julie has also served for more than a decade as Bryn Mawr College’s Alumnae Admission Coordinator for the State of Michigan.
A 17-year Ann Arbor resident, Julie and her husband, David, live with their children, Maddie (10) and Sam (7).
Julie received a Ph.D. in Health Services Organization and Policy and a Master’s in Public Health in Health Behavior and Health Education from the University of Michigan School of Public Health. She is an alumna of Bryn Mawr College, where she graduated cum laude with honors in Anthropology.